For Immediate Release
Friday, March 11, 2011
Contact: Joel Payne, (202) 225- 2661
CONGRESSWOMAN BARBARA LEE STATEMENT ON EARTHQUAKE IN JAPAN AND TSUNAMI WARNINGS IN CALIFORNIA AND THE PACIFIC COAST
Washington, DC – Representative Barbara Lee (D-CA) released the following statement this morning in reaction to the recent earthquake in Japan and the tsunami warnings and advisories that have been announced for California and the entire Pacific Coast of the U.S.:
“My thoughts and prayers are with the Japanese people in the aftermath of this morning’s earthquake. We do not yet know the full extent of the damage and casualties caused by this disaster, but the images from Japan this morning have been heartbreaking.
“We also must be vigilant about the possibility of aftershocks and tsunami waves extending from Japan all the way to my home state of California and the Pacific Coast of the United States. I encourage my constituents and all those in affected areas to take warnings and advisories seriously and follow the instructions of emergency management personnel and local officials.
“I echo the President’s commitment to stand with Japan as they begin the difficult task of recovering and rebuilding from this disaster.”
Emergency Telephone Numbers and Websites
For U.S. Citizens in Japan
- U.S. citizen in Japan: JapanEmergencyUSC@state.gov
- U.S. citizen in the Tsunami zone outside of Japan: PacificTsunamiUSC@state.gov
- Family members of Department of Defense personnel: (800) 342-9647
Email inquiries are strongly preferred, but you may call the State Department’s emergency assistance center at 1 (888) 407-4747 (Calling from outside U.S. + 1-202-501-4444) if you are unable to use email.
For Japanese Citizens in Japan
- Japanese Embassy: (202) 238-6700
- Japanese Consulate General of San Francisco, Covering Northern and Central California and Nevada: (415) 777-3533
For Up-to-Date Information
- Congresswoman Barbara Lee: www.lee.house.gov
- The White House: www.whitehouse.gov
- U.S. Department of State: www.travel.state.gov
- National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration: www.noaa.gov